Wednesday, February 9, 2011

quick!

i need a good book to read asap!

to the few of you that are still reading this blog:
if you were going on a bit of a sunny vacation what book would you bring with you?
what's your favorite book?
what book do think paige would like?

in case this helps, my favorite books are probably:
the secret life of bees
the help
to kill a mockingbird
the historian

i like mostly upbeat books that will make me laugh, smile and maybe cry (but not because they are depressing). and i apparently really like books that take place in the south and dabble in the civil rights movement...

please help me.

7 comments:

Mickelle said...

hmm, i just read the hobbit and was quite delighted. I just started reading Life of Pi--I hear its good, but i'm only like 2 pages in. so i dont have ton a suggestions, but thats all i got. Virgin suicides is also a short-ish read. but i only read like 1/4 of it

Jill said...

The Help is awesome if you haven't read it yet!

Jessica said...

Have you read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer? I'm obsessed with it. I wrote my thesis on it. It makes you laugh out loud and cry just a little. So good.

Also, The House on Sugar Beach was a really good read.

Alexandra said...

YES also to The House at Sugar Beach. An african (liberian) royal has to flee to the US (Tennessee, THE SOUTH) in her teenage years in the 1970s. Then grows up to become a war reporter for the NY Times. True story. It's amazing.

It's not a hard, dense read, either contrary to what it may sound like to you- perfect for a sunny vacation.

magunn said...

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". Takes place during WW2, so there are a few depressing things ... but it's incredibly witty and funny, AND it's a love story. Very precious. You would enjoy it, maybe even read it twice!

Jenni Guynn said...

I love The Book Thief or The Screwtape Letters is like a go to for me.

Jennifer Lane said...

Um....pretty sure you've already left BUT I have the Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close book if you ever want to borrow it.